Wednesday 7 May 2008

7-5-2008 Wednesday

London Time: 6.07pm

Its mid week! Well I took a bath and I'm gonna head out to the Bridge Inn later. Its apparently a pub and there's an international society meeting there later. Its basically a gathering for all the internatinoal people from RR to meet up. Not sure all of them will go anyways. But yep. Hopefully I'll meet people who are willing to travel with me out of Derby during the weekends. Keeping my fingers crossed here. But yea. I'll be cycling there with Toby later, at 8.30pm.

I guess today was a pretty interesting day for me. Got to work at around 8.00am, and slacked around till 11am. 3 hours of basically sitting there doing nothing cause we were waiting for a rig testing to be set up. Well I managed to get a appointment in Nottingham on Friday for my National Insurance number. So yep, no work on Friday for me. Shall take that chance to tour Nottingham. Yay. But yep I'll be alone again. Damn.

Basically today was mostly spent in the test facility and doing tests. Just sitting in front of a computer and adjust the settings to see different results. It was all really interesting. But then again, I don't think I can say much. Sorry about that.

But yea, it was really cool cause this was what an actual test facility was like, and I was doing work that was basically what graduates do for the Research and Development side in the Aerospace Industry.

Carrying out the test was just kevin and me. He talked to me a great deal about what he was doing and why the tests were carried out. And he's a really really nice guy. He's been in Rolls Royce for the past 5 years now. But he's not planning to stay here permanently. He prefers Ireland. Well thats the funny thing. Most of the people I met don't really want to settle down in Derby, or England for that matter. They'd say working here is good. But living here for the rest of their lives is just not for them. I guess I feel the same way yea? And most of them hate the weather as well.

These few days have been good though. Its bright and sunny in the afternoon. Not really cold anymore. So yea. Its comfortable. Had sandwiches for lunch cause the testing had to continue. So basically ate my sandwich in front of the computer. Not that I'm complaining. I don't like the canteen anyway.

So till about 3pm, the testing was done. And kevin was really a good person to follow. He lets me carry out the tests and also have hands-on on shutting down the system. Its really complicated with a 2 page check-list. Shut down this, then shut down that, then go back and shut down this. Really awesome experience. Confusing though. He said I'd get it in the next 2 or 3 tries. So yea.

When I got back to the office, Andy Payne was there. We started chatting about Singapore and what he did there when he was there for 2 weeks and stuff. He also helped me find out the best way to get to Nottingham. Its only 4.60 pounds by train to and fro. And the place I had to go for the interview was really close to the train station. So I guess its better than taking the bus.

At around 4.45pm, I cycled home and bought a microwavable lunchbox on the way back. Finally I can prepare my own lunch for work.

Hmm.. I'm having an apple now. Yummy. Donato's friend, alex, is coming over for dinner as well. They both are going to the meeting later as well..

Oh this was what i had for dinner yesterday, grilled pork chop, salad and bread.

No comments: