Monday 19 May 2008

19-5-2008 Monday

London Time: 8.10pm

And just like that Monday's gone by. I guess living alone in a country so far away has it benefits; being independent. No parents here to make meals for you, do the laundry for you, and basically just being take care of.

Its all really good in a sense that being alone out here forces you to take care of yourself. You plan what you are going to eat, plan when to do your laundry, and alot of other stuff that you don't really take notice of about yourself when your living with your parents. And its all good. I think I'm eating healthier here than I would be if I was in Singapore. Cause during weekdays I would have lunch in school and buy some takeaway at the food center nearby. Probablly the only healthy stuff I would actually be having a proper meal prepared by my mom.

Here, I prepare my own lunch and dinner from scratch. Purchasing groceries at the supermarket, preparing dinner with my housemate and after dinner, prepare my lunch for the next day and store it in a lunch box. Not too oily or salty stuff in my meals, which I think would be a main part of my diet if I was back home.

Then comes the thought of keeping yourself healthy. When I was back at home, I didn't really take that much fruit cause basically I was just too lazy to grab an apple. And if I'm hungry during the day I'd grab some snack outside or at home. Here, when I get hungry before dinner time, I take out an apple to keep me filled till dinner was ready. And I'm proud to say... I haven't touched soft drinks since I got here. Which is probablly 1 month plus without fizzy drinks. Well I mean fizzy drinks such as Coke, pepsi and whatnot. But the only unhealthy thing I've been drinking is beer. And even that I don't drink often. Only twice since I'm here.

And being alone here you learn to manage your own finances. When shopping for groceries, I'd try to find the best deals before making a purchase. That I probablly won't do if I'm shopping for groceries with my parents.

So yep. These are the benefits of staying alone out here. Given the chance I'd probablly want to live independently again. Of course probablly not here in the U.K. Haha. But yea. Think the only thing that sucks about here is the weather, and that my friends and family are all on a little island 11000km away.

Other than that, I'm doing pretty well on my own.

No comments: